Driving in Namibia
Driving Licence Requirements in Namibia
The driving licence requirements in Namibia state that you must have a full driving licence that is valid in your country of residence. An international driver's licence is also required if your driving licence is not in English.
Namibia Age Restrictions
In order to hire a car in Namibia, you must be 23 years and have held your licence for at least 1 year (this may differ depending on supplier). Some suppliers might require you to be 25 and will charge those between 21-25 an additional insurance fee.
Namibia Driving Distances
• Windhoek to Walvis Bay - 268kms (3hours/30mins)
• Swakopmund to Okahandja - 291 kms (3hours/45mins)
Namibia Road Rules and Petrol Stations
General Namibia driving information, laws rules and regulations:
• Driving in Namibia is on the left hand side of the road.
• Seat belts when driving a hire car in Namibia are mandatory.
• Drivers are to carry at all times while driving, a valid driver's licence, registration documents and insurance documents.
• There are Namibia petrol stations in all major towns and most rural ones. It's advisable to fill up your car hire whenever you have the opportunity.
Tolls in Namibia
In Namibia, tolls are charged for each section of the motorway and they differ depending on the distance travelled. It is a good idea to always have some change with you when travelling with a car hire in Windhoek for the tolls.
Namibia Parking Information
The Namibia parking rules and fees are usually marked on signs (with English translations in tourist areas). Red and white markings mean "no parking zone". The yellow and white markings point out a short-term parking space. Diagonal white lines show parking space for motorcycles only. Fines are given for cars parked in the wrong place or for too long. They can be compensated at the local police station. If the car has been clamped, a police officer will be ordered to remove the wheel clamps.
One-Way Car Hire in Namibia
Domestic one-way car hire in Namibia is permitted on a request basis, but fees and availability vary significantly between suppliers. International one-way is also permitted. Check specific details at time of booking.
When you hire a car it is important to take the time to look through some of the above Namibia driving information, rules and regulations about driving your car hire, to ensure you have the safest possible journey.